We are baking! My daughter and I baked gluten free coconut zucchini bread and muffins this week that are delicious! It is gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free. It is the perfect snack to pack for lunch or have for breakfast, lightly toasted with some purified butter (ghee) and some rose jam.
This recipe is full of coconut - coconut flour, coconut oil, shredded coconut...! Coconut is a great way to consume natural saturated fats. These fats not only increase your body's healthy cholesterol, but also helps to convert the bad cholesterol into good cholesterol! This leads to improved heart health and lowered risk of heart disease.
Here is the recipe inspired from I Quit Sugar
- 1 medium banana, mashed.
- 6 eggs, at room temperature.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted.
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of choice (maple syrup, liquid stevia, honey)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
- 1 large zucchini, grated with extra moisture squeezed out (about 1 cup tightly packed).
- 3/4 cups coconut flour.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, ground.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, for topping.
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and line a standard loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Add banana to a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add in eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, rice malt syrup, apple cider vinegar and zucchini and whisk to combine. Sift in coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt and fold through until you have a thick, dense batter. Scoop batter into the prepared loaf tin and smooth over top. Sprinkle over shredded coconut and lightly press into the batter.
3. Place loaf onto the middle shelf in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. If the coconut on top is browning too quickly, cover with foil. Once cooked, remove from the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool slightly before cutting into 12 slices.
* Store this bread in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer with baking paper between slices for up to 1 month.